Posts for: September, 2019
If you have chest pain and shortness of breath, you may be wondering if you are in danger of having a heart attack. Your cardiologist can help diagnose heart disease and let you know your risk of having a heart attack. The cardiologists at Gilbert Cardiology in Gilbert, AZ, offer a wide range of heart care services, including diagnosis and treatment if you have had a heart attack.
A heart attack is caused when the flow of blood to your heart is blocked by an accumulation of fat and cholesterol deposits which narrow or block an artery. The lack of blood flow causes the heart muscle to become damaged or die.
You are in danger of having a heart attack if you:
- Smoke, or use illicit stimulant drugs
- Are sedentary, or have high stress levels
- Have diabetes, are obese, or have metabolic syndrome
- Have a family history of heart attacks or heart disease
- Are older, typically over 45 for men, and over 55 for women
- Have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or high triglyceride levels
If you have any of the risk factors listed above, you should seek out your cardiologist to determine your danger of having a heart attack. Your cardiologist may recommend an exercise stress test, an electrocardiogram, and other tests to determine your level of heart function.
So, how do you know if you are having a heart attack? In many cases, you may not experience symptoms, but there are usually warning signs which include:
- Pressure, tightness, and pain in your chest
- Chest pain that intensifies and doesn’t get better with rest
- A squeezing or aching feeling in your chest, arms, neck, jaw, or back
- Shortness of breath, dizziness, sweating, and paleness
- Fatigue, nausea, indigestion, heartburn, or abdominal pain
If you have had a heart attack, it can lead to additional heart issues including abnormal heart rhythms, failure of your heart to pump enough blood, and sudden cardiac arrest. To find out more about heart attack diagnosis and treatment, call the cardiologists at Gilbert Cardiology in Gilbert, AZ, today.