Posts for: June, 2017
What your cardiologists in Gilbert want you to know
High blood pressure, also called hypertension, is a measurement of the blood flow through your arteries. If your blood pressure is high, that means the blood is encountering resistance as it flows through your arteries. If your arteries are narrow due to aging, fatty deposits or other health conditions, your blood pressure will be high.
Thankfully there are many effective ways to treat high blood pressure. Your cardiologists at Gilbert Cardiology in Gilbert, AZ, want to share the facts about high blood pressure.
High blood pressure can go undetected for many years without any symptoms. It can cause damage to blood vessels, heart attack, and stroke. That’s why it’s important to visit your doctor regularly and have your blood pressure checked. Your blood pressure is considered elevated if it exceeds 120/80.
There are two categories of hypertension:
- Essential or primary hypertension, which has no underlying cause and develops over a period of years
- Secondary hypertension, which has an identifiable cause like sleep apnea, thyroid problems, blood vessel defects, adrenal and kidney problems, medications, drug, and alcohol use.
You may be at risk for hypertension if you:
- Are getting older or have high-stress levels
- Have sleep apnea, diabetes or kidney disease
- Have a family history of hypertension
- Are overweight or sedentary
- Use tobacco products or drink alcohol heavily
- Have a diet high in salt or low in potassium
You can do a lot to reduce your risk of hypertension by following a low salt diet, exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy weight. If you smoke, you should stop, and only drink alcohol in moderation.
Your cardiologists at Gilbert Cardiology can prescribe many effective medications to get your blood pressure back under control. Some common medications include:
- Diuretics, to help rid your body of excess water
- Beta blockers, to open blood vessels and lower cardiac workload
- ACE inhibitors, to relax blood vessels
- Calcium channel blockers, to relax blood vessels and slow heart rate
High blood pressure has been called the silent killer, so if you have hypertension, it’s time to act. It’s time to call your cardiologists at Gilbert Cardiology in Gilbert, AZ. Don’t wait, because your life may depend on it. Call today!