Posts for tag: Cardiology
The American Heart Association says that cardiovascular disease is the leading killer of American adults. How healthy is your heart? At Gilbert Cardiology in Gilbert, AZ, cardiologists Dr. Zaki Labibidi and Dr. Khaled Albasha advocate regular visits to their office to maintain good heart health. Here are the reasons why.
No one is immune
You may say, "Well, no one has ever had a heart attack in my family." That's great, but did you know that factors other than heredity help determine cardiovascular well-being?
Being male, overweight, having hypertension, high cholesterol or diabetes, experiencing continual job or life stress all strain the heart and blood vessels.
Besides, a heart attack is not the only cardiovascular issue. Others include:
- Congestive heart failure
- Cardiac arrhythmias, such as atrial fibrillation
- Structural defects
If you or your primary care physician suspects you may have or could develop one or more of these conditions, you should pay a preventive visit to Gilbert Cardiology. Dr. Labibidi or Dr. Albasha will help you develop a cardiac check-list which will help you know your heart better and how to take care of it.
The cardiac checklist
Here's what everyone should know about and do for their cardiovascular health:
- Know important lab work results and vital signs. What are your baseline blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose levels? When was the last time you had an EKG?
- Be able to recognize the symptoms of heart attack and stroke. (They differ between men and women.)
- Exercise routinely. Simple walking five days a week is super-beneficial and requires no special equipment, clothes or gym fees.
- Stop smoking, and limit alcohol consumption.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet low in animal fat and high in fiber.
- Sleep seven to eight hours a night.
- Learn to relax. Stress is a heart killer. So, talk out your stress with a friend or trusted health care provider.
- Control your weight and your waist size.
Then, follow-up as your cardiologist recommends. They may order diagnostic testing, such as echocardiography, to understand your heart's size, function and strength. They also use this information to create a care plan specific to your history, current needs and lifestyle.
It's so important
A healthy cardiovascular system is key to your well-being and longevity, too. So, take care of it with routine visits to Gilbert Cardiology where the team is ready to take new patients. Phone for an appointment: (480) 786-9100.