Posts for: November, 2016
Chest pain can be disconcerting. Find out what could be causing it.
Experiencing chest pain is enough to make anyone nervous. After all, there are some causes of chest pain that require emergency care. Our Gilbert, AZ, cardiologists, Dr. Zaki Lababidi, Dr. Mohammed Reza Hojjati and Dr. Khaled Albasha, are here to provide some insight into why chest pain happens and when it requires immediate medical attention.
While chest pain is certainly not something to ignore, most people worry that they are having a heart attack. However, not all chest pain has to do with the heart. Remember your body is made up of so many more organs, muscles and nerves that could be causing your symptoms.
If chest pain is related to the heart these are usually the most common conditions responsible for this symptom:
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart attack
- Pericarditis (inflammation around the heart)
- Mitral valve prolapse
Besides heart-related causes, here are some other reasons why you may be experiencing chest pain:
- Lung conditions such as pleurisy, pneumonia, pulmonary hypertension, asthma or a pulmonary embolism
- Gastrointestinal problems such as GERD, esophageal muscle spasms or contractions, a perforated esophagus, peptic ulcers, a hiatal hernia, gallbladder issues or pancreatitis
- Musculoskeletal issues, such as rib problems, shingles or muscle strain
- Anxiety and panic attacks can also bring about chest pains
When to Visit Your Gilbert, AZ, Heart Doctors
Chest pain can be a scary thing to experience, so if you are feeling worried about this discomfort it’s always best to play it safe and give us a call. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, this is considered a life-threatening emergency and you need to call 911:
- Sharp, sudden pain that also causes shortness of breath
- Chest pain that also radiates to your arm, back or jaw
- An intense tightness or crushing feeling under the breastbone
- Very low heart rate or blood pressure
- Dizziness, fast heart rate, sweating, nausea or fast breathing
If you are looking for answers to your chest pain, then it’s time you turned to Gilbert Cardiology in Gilbert, AZ, for a diagnosis. Chest pain can be a scary symptom, but we are here to put your mind at ease.